General Plan Element Update Community Engagement and Schedule
Schedule of Upcoming Events:
|Community Online Survey
||Available April 21 to August 15, 2021
|Virtual Workshop #1
||Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 6:00pm to 8:00pm
|Virtual Workshop #2
||Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 6:00pm to 8:00pm
|Community Meeting (Spanish Only)
||Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 5:00pm to 7:00pm
|Fourth of July Carnival - City Information Booth
Sunday, July 4, 2021 12:00pm to 9:00pm, San Juan Capistrano Sports Park, 25925 Camino Del Avion
|City Council Public Meeting Initiation General Plan Amendment
||July 20, 2021, 5:00pm, September 21, 2021, 5:00pm
|Planning Commission Public Hearing
||Decmeber 2021 - January 2022
|City Council Public Hearing
||January - February 2022
There were a variety of ways that the public could participate throughout the General Plan Update process. The City created the following public outreach program that maintained the health and safety of our community during the global COVID-19 pandemic and ensures the community has opportunities to be involved during the Housing Element Update process.
- The City developed an online survey in English and Spanish for all members of the public to take and provide initial input on the proposed General Plan updates. This online survey was available from April 14 through August 27 to be incorporated in the Public Review Draft Housing Element. While the Public Review Draft Housing Element is completed, the City continues to value your input and the survey links below remain active:
- The City hosted two virtual workshops on May 12 and May 26 from 6pm to 8pm that allowed the community to learn more about the proposed General Plan update process and to share ideas on the future housing needs of the City. Each virtual workshop included a presentation with live Spanish translations. Both virtual workshops were recorded and posted to the City’s website for viewing in the event you could not attend the workshops.
- The City in collaboration with UNIDOS South OC organized a community workshop on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm in Stonefield Park to seek additional input from the community on proposed updates to the General Plan and the new Element of Environmental Justice. The workshop was presented in Spanish and UNIDOS South OC provided meals after the workshop.
- The City of San Juan Capistrano had a booth at the 4th of July Carnival on Sunday, July 4, 2021 from noon to 9:00 pm. The booth included various information about City projects and programs, including the Housing, Safety, and Environmental Justice Elements. All public was encouraged to stop by to learn about the process, participate in the Community Survey, and ask questions about how the City is planning for the future.
- The City conducted a Public Meeting on July 20th and September 21st that the public had the opportunity to attend in person. The City Council considered initiation of the General Plan Amendment and intended programs, such as rezones and code amendments, necessary to meet state requirements for the Housing Element Update and goals of the Safety and Environmental Justice Elements.
- Public Hearings with the Planning Commission and City Council will be held to receive further public testimony. Information on how to participate in these Public Hearings will be provided on the City’s website or emailed to you directly by adding your email to the City’s interested parties list. Please contact the City’s Project Manager, Laura Stokes, at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the interested parties list.