General Plan Element Update Community Engagement and Schedule
There are a variety of ways that the public can participate throughout the General Plan Update process. The City has created the following public outreach program that maintains the health and safety of our community during the global COVID-19 pandemic and ensures the community has opportunities to be involved during the Housing Element Update process.
- The City has developed an online survey in English and Spanish for all members of the public to take and provide initial input on the proposed General Plan updates. This online survey will be available from April 14 through August 15. Access to the online survey is provided below:
- The City hosted two virtual workshops on May 12 and May 26 from 6pm to 8pm that allowed the community to learn more about the proposed General Plan update process and to share ideas on the future housing needs of the City. Each virtual workshop included a presentation with live Spanish translations. Both virtual workshops were recorded and posted to the City’s website for viewing in the event you could not attend the workshops.
- The City in collaboration with UNIDOS South OC is organizing a community workshop on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm in Stonefield Park Park to seek additional input from the community on proposed updates to the General Plan and the new Element of Environmental Justice. The The workshop will be presented in Spanish and UNIDOS South OC will provide meals after the workshop.
- The City of San Juan Capistrano will have a booth at the 4th of July Carnival on Sunday, July 4, 2021 from noon to 9:00 pm. The booth will include various information about City projects and programs, including the Housing, Safety, and Environmental Justice Elements. All public is encouraged to stop by to learn about the process, participate in the Community Survey, and ask questions about how the City is planning for the future.
- The City will conduct a Public Meeting on July 20th that the public will have the opportunity to attend in person. The City Council will consider intiation of the General Plan Amendment and intended programs, such as rezones and code amendments, necessary to meet state requirements for the Housing Element Update and goals of the Safety and Environmental Justice Elements. Public can provide input on these items before the proposed amendments are further analyzed throught the California Environmental Quality Act and presented to the Planning Commission and City Council for review and approval in Fall 2021. Information on how to participate in this Public Meeting will be provided on the City’s website or emailed to you directly by adding your email to the City’s interested parties list. Please contact the City’s Project Manager, Laura Stokes, at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the interested parties list.
Schedule of Upcoming Events:
|Community Online Survey
||Available April 21 to August 15, 2021
|Virtual Workshop #1
||Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 6:00pm to 8:00pm
|Virtual Workshop #2
||Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 6:00pm to 8:00pm
|Community Meeting (Spanish Only)
||Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 5:00pm to 7:00pm
|Fourth of July Carnival - City Information Booth
Sunday, July 4, 2021 12:00pm to 9:00pm, San Juan Capistrano Sports Park, 25925 Camino Del Avion
|City Council Public Meeting Initiation General Plan Amendment
||July 20, 2021, 5:00pm
|Planning Commission Public Hearing
||August - September 2021
|City Council Public Hearing