Who we are...
- The Code Enforcement Division team is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for the residents of San Juan Capistrano.
- We protect the public health, safety, and welfare through the enforcement of local laws and regulations adopted by the San Juan Capistrano City Council.
- We enforce codes in order to help reduce vandalism, deter crime, maintain property values, and prevent deterioration of neighborhoods.
- We actively work with citizens to provide public education on city code requirements.
- Potential violations are investigated through citizen complaints and referrals from other agencies.
- Once a violation is verified by a Code Enforcement Officer, the responsible party is issued a Notice of Violation providing a reasonable time to correct the issue.
- Periodic follow-up inspections are conducted to determine if compliance has been met.
- If compliance has not been met, additional time may be provided depending on the circumstances and severity of the violation.
- A great deal of emphasis is placed on obtaining voluntary compliance. However, if a responsible party fails or refuses to voluntarily comply with a Notice of Violation, then administrative citations may be issued. An initial administrative citation will result in a fine of $100. If the violation is not corrected, additional citations can be issued with the fine of each citation progressively increasing to $200, $500 and up to $1,000 per violation per day.
How to Contact Us
How to Report a Suspected Code Violation
You may report a suspected code violation in any one of the following three ways:
- Contact Code Enforcement Officer J.R. Torrez by phone Monday to Thursday 7am to 5:30pm at (949) 443-6341; or
- Submit an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Fill out and submit the online form below.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE SUBMITTED TO THE CITY OF SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO INCLUDING SUBMITTAL OF CODE ENFORCEMENT COMPLAINTS VIA EMAIL OR THE FORM BELOW MAY BE SUBJECT TO THE CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RECORDS ACT, AND THEREFORE MAY BE SUBJECT TO DISCLOSURE IF SO REQUESTED BY ANY INTERESTED PARTY.
Online Submittal of Suspected Code Violations
If you suspect a violation of the San Juan Capistrano Municipal Code, please use this form to send a report directly to the City’s Code Enforcement staff. You are not required to include your name or address as the City accepts anonymous reports. Providing your contact information is helpful in case City staff needs to contact you to get clarification on your report. If possible, please include the street address or a location description (i.e. northwest corner of an X street and Y street) of the suspected violation. The information you provide will be contained in an email received by Code Enforcement staff. As a reminder, all email correspondence received by the City may be subject to the California Public Records Act, and therefore may be subject to disclosure if so requested by any interested party.