Building Permit Inspections
Work performed on issued building permits needs to be inspected by a City Building Inspector in order for the job/permit to become Finaled by the City. Any work performed on an issued permit that expires before a City Building Inspector has completed and approved a passing Final inspection becomes unpermitted work.
Unless specified, all inspections are in-person field inspections. If you wish to request a remote video inspection, please specify that when making your inspection request.
The City’s building inspectors create their inspection run list at the start of every morning.
Routes are determined based on the list of inspection addresses for the day therefore requested timeframes are not guaranteed.
Inspection timeframes are available by 7:45 am on the morning of your inspection and can be viewed online through the “Inspection Status Information” link below.
How to Request an Inspection
Inspection requests must be made prior to 4:00 p.m. on a City business day in order for the inspection to be scheduled for the following business day.
Inspections requests can be made by the following two ways:
- Online via the form at the bottom of this page
- By Phone via the Automated Inspection line (949) 493-3172
City Staff does not provide a confirmation response for inspection requests left on the Automated Inspection line. Online inspection requests will receive a confirmation response by e-mail.
All inspection requests made by phone must include the following information in this order:
- Permit Number
- Job Site Address
- Requested Date of Inspection
- Type of Inspection(s) being requested
- Job Site Contact Name and Phone Number
- Gate Code or other special instructions
- Specify whether you are requesting a remote video inspection
Inspection Status Information
The status of your inspection request, the timeframe of your scheduled inspection and the results of your inspection can be viewed by clicking on the “Inspection Status Information” link below. Clicking on the link will take you to the City’s E-Trakit Portal. Please follow the steps outlined below to obtain the inspection status of your permit.
INSPECTION STATUS INFORMATION
Once in the E-Trakit Portal, follow these steps:
- Use the drop down box and select "PERMIT NUMBER"
- Enter the Permit # and press 'SEARCH'
- Click on the permit to open the permit information
- Click on:
- "INSPECTIONS" - to view all of your inspection history & any scheduled inspection requests/timeframes (AM/PM timeframes can be viewed at 7:45am on the morning of your scheduled date)
- "MORE INFO" - next to the associated inspection to view any corrections/notes from the inspector
Additional Inspection Information:
- Building Inspector assignments are subject to change.
- Inspectors do not set appointments. Your inspection timeframe is given as a courtesy. Our Inspectors aim to arrive at your job site within the given timeframe.
- AM Timeframe = 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
PM Timeframe = 12:00 PM – 3:30 PM
- Sometimes delays occur due to weather, traffic conditions or unforeseen issues at other inspection sites.
- If no one is at the job site to meet with the Inspector, the Inspector will not conduct the inspection and the inspection will need to be re-scheduled.
- If Inspectors are unable to complete all scheduled inspections, the uncompleted inspection(s) will be carried over to the next business day.
- A re-inspection fee may be assessed when work is not ready, inspection card and/or approved plans are not available, no access has been provided or there is any deviation from the approved plans.
Applicant Responsibilities to Facilitate Inspections:
- Complete all work related to the inspection.
- Pay any re-inspection fees prior to scheduling your next inspection.
- Ensure that the approved/stamped plans and job card are on site at ALL times during inspections.
- Ensure site is secure and safe for an inspector to walk the property.
- Provide gate code or access numbers and contact info for guarded properties.
- Provide all necessary documents to the inspector related to your particular inspection.
- If applicable, provide an OSHA-approved ladder for the inspector to use.
- If you have requested a remote video inspection, ensure that all the steps of such inspections are followed.
Overtime/Special Inspection Requests
An inspection request may be made for an inspection that needs to take place outside of regular business hours such as weekends or a non-City business day. In such cases, the applicant requesting the special inspection must pay for all overtime costs associated with the requested special inspection. Overtime/Special inspections require approval from both the Inspector and Building Official.
Building Inspectors Contact Information
Building Inspectors are available for questions during the following times:
7:30 AM - 8:00 AM & 3:30 - 4:30 PM (Mon - Thu)
7:30 AM - 8:00 AM & 3:00 - 3:30 PM (Fri)
William Forsythe: email@example.com 949-443-6303
Steve Salcedo: firstname.lastname@example.org 949-443-6335
Online Inspection Requests
Please complete the form below to request inspection(s).
**INSPECTIONS HAVE BEEN CAPPED FOR FRIDAY 06/25/21 & MONDAY 06/28/21.
THE NEXT AVAILABLE INSPECTION IS TUESDAY 06/29/21. **