Effective November 6, 2020, City Hall will be closed to the public. All new permit submittals will be required to be submitted electronically during the City Hall closure per the steps outlined below.
In order to continue processing hard plan permits that are currently in the plan check process or hard copies of revisions, a Permit Technician will be in the office on Wednesdays and Thursdays to arrange for the drop-off and pick-up of plans associated only with these permit applications.
Please email email@example.com or call 949-443-6347 to schedule an appointment for existing plan pick-up or drop off or if you have any questions about the City’s interim permit process.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
New Project (Electronic) Submittal Process:
Please read the following instructions and gather all documents required for submittal. Please do not send plans until your application has been accepted. Once your application has been accepted you will be assigned a permit number along with instructions on how to properly format and label your PDF for electronic review. Submittals that do not follow the instructions will be rejected.
1. Submit all documents listed below via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Building Permit Application - (Please complete the application in it’s entirety to ensure that your permit is processed in a timely manner. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant for completion and will require a re-submittal. Be sure to include heights, square footages, quantities and dimensions of all structures and areas. Please click on the following link to see an attached sample permit application.)
- Contractor's State License Board (CSLB) Pocket Card Image
- Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate
- Letter of Authorization (On letterhead and notarized)
- City of San Juan Capistrano City Business License Number
- OCFA Commercial or Residential Screening Checklist
- Homeowners Association (HOA) Approval Letter
- Required for all exterior work including but not limited to all Backyard Improvements, Patios, BBQ's, Firepits, Exterior Structures and Sheds, Additions, Door/Window Replacements, and Roofing Projects.
2. The City will review your submitted application for accuracy and thoroughness. Incomplete permit submittals will be returned to the applicant for additional information.
3. Once an application has been accepted as complete, the applicant will be contacted with instructions on how to submit electronic plans for review.
4. Payment - An invoice along with payment instructions will be emailed to the applicant by the City. Plan check/permit fees must be made by credit card with payment information taken over the phone.
- Credit Card transactions have a maximum limit of $5000, in the event this is an issue please contact the Building Department for assistance.
- Payments may also be made by check via the City's Drop Box (located in the front of City Hall). Checks must be placed in a sealed envelope along with a copy of the invoice and labeled with the permit number. Once payment has been hand delivered to the City's Drop Box please call 949-493-1515 to inform the Finance Department that the payment was delivered.
- Payments by mail will not be accepted.
5. After payment is received, the City will provide target dates for projects under review or electronic permits/job cards for approved permits.
The Building Department oversees all applications for new construction and renovation, to include; reviewing applications for building permits, building permit issuance, inspections, and maintaining historical records related to issued Building Permits (which the public may access at the Building Counter during regular business hours by appointment).
We strive to provide exceptional customer service and provide a response to all inquiries within one full business day (24 hours) of receipt. If you do not receive a response within 24 hours, please contact the Building and Code Enforcement Manager, Carlos Yado, at CYado@SanJuanCapistrano.org, (949) 234-4568, or the Director of Development Services, Joel Rojas at JRojas@SanJuanCapistrano.org, (949) 234-4410.
Operating Hours and Staff Contact
Building Department Staff are available in person by appointment only at the Building Counter in the One Stop Shop located in City Hall during the following times:
Building Counter Hours
7:30 AM - 5:00 PM (Monday through Thursday)
Plan Review Inquiries/Building Official's Counter Hours
Counter hours with the Building Official are reserved for questions and permit inquiries related to the building code. New submittals/resubmittals/revisions must be submitted for plan review and will not be reviewed over-the-counter.
8:00 - 10:00 AM (Monday/Wednesday) by Appointment only
To make an appointment with the Building Official please send an email with at least three requested dates and times to the Building Official, Carlos Yado at CYado@sanjuancapistrano.org
Building and Grading Inspectors – By Telephone Only
7:30 AM - 8:00 AM & 3:30 - 4:30 PM (Mon-Thu)
7:30 AM - 8:00 AM & 3:00 - 3:30 PM (Fri)
32400 Paseo Adelanto
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Building and Code Enforcement Manager/Building Official