The Building Division oversees all building permit applications for new construction and renovation. The services provided include plan check review, building permit issuance, inspections, and maintaining historical records related to issued building permits.
Effective November 6, 2020, City Hall will be closed to the public. All new permit submittals must be submitted and processed electronically during the City Hall closure per the steps outlined below. The review of historical records at the public counter is not available during the City Hall closure.
In order to facilitate the processing of permits, a Permit Technician will be in the office on Monday through Thursday to arrange for the drop-off and pick-up of plans. Please email email@example.com or call (949) 443-6347 to arrange for a plan pick-up or drop off or if you have any questions about the City's interim permit process.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Electronic Permit Submittal Process:
Please read the following instructions and gather all documents required for submittal. Please do not send plans until your application has been accepted. Once your application has been accepted you will be assigned a permit number along with instructions on how to properly format and label your PDF for electronic review. Submittals that do not follow the instructions will be rejected.
Step 1. Submit all items listed below via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a) Building Permit Application - Please complete the application in its entirety to ensure that your permit is processed in a timely manner. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant for completion and will require a re-submittal. Be sure to include heights, square footages, quantities and dimensions of all structures and areas. Please click on the following link to see an attached sample permit application.
- b) Contractor's State License Board (CSLB) Pocket Card Image
- c) Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate
- d) Contractor Letter of Authorization to pull permits (On letterhead and notarized)
- e) City of San Juan Capistrano City Business License Number (Click here to apply/renew)
- f) OCFA Commercial or Residential Screening Checklist
- g) Homeowners Association (HOA) Approval Letter (Required for all exterior work including but not limited to all backyard improvements such as Patios, BBQ's, Firepits, Exterior Structures and Sheds, Additions, Door/Window Replacements, and Roofing Projects.
Step 2. The City will review your submitted application for accuracy and thoroughness. Incomplete permit submittals will be returned to the applicant for additional information.
Step 3. Once an application has been accepted as complete, the applicant will be contacted with instructions on how to label, save and submit the electronic pdfs of plans for review.
Step 4. Payment - An invoice along with payment instructions will be emailed to the applicant by the City. Plan check/permit fees must be made by credit card with payment information taken over the phone.
- Credit Card transactions have a maximum limit of $5,000. In the event this is an issue, please contact the Building Department for assistance.
- Payments may also be made by check mailed to City Hall (32400 Paseo Adelanto, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675).
Step 5. After payment is received, the City will provide plan check target dates for projects under review or electronic permits/job cards for approved permits.
Staff Contact Information
Listed below are the emails and phone numbers of the Building Division staff. Building Division staff strive to respond to all phone messages or email inquiries within one full business day (24 hours) of receipt. If you do not receive a response within 24 hours, please contact Development Services Director Joel Rojas at JRojas@SanJuanCapistrano.org or (949) 234-4410.
32400 Paseo Adelanto
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Building and Code Enforcement Manager/Building Official
Building & Grading Inspectors
Building Permit Technicians