HAfter obtaining a building permit, construction work may begin. Inspections are required before any work can be covered or concealed. Construction is not approved until it has been inspected and accepted by inspection staff. It is the responsibility of the contractor or the owner to schedule all required inspections.
How to Request an Inspection
Inspection requests must be made prior to 4:00pm on a City business day in order for the inspection to be scheduled for the following business day.
Inspections requests can be made by the following ways:
- Online Inspection Request (Online Form can be found at the bottom of this page)
- By voice message via the Automated Inspection line 949-493-3172
City Staff does not provide a confirmation response for inspection requests left on the Automated Inspection line. Online inspection requests will receive a confirmation response by email.
All inspection requests made by phone must include the following information in this order:
- Permit Number
- Job Site Address
- Requested Date of Inspection
- Type of Inspection(s) being requested
- Job Site Contact Name and Phone Number
- Gate Code or other special instructions
Inspection Schedule & Timeframes
- The City's building inspectors create their inspection run list at the start of every morning.
- Routes are determined based on the list of inspection addresses for the day, therefore, requested timeframes are not guaranteed.
- Inspection timeframes are available by 8:00am on the morning of your inspection and can be viewed online through the "E-Trakit Citizen Portal" link below.
- AM Timeframe - 8:00am to 12:00pm
PM Timeframe - 12:00pm to 3:30pm
Inspection Status & Information
Scheduled inspections, timeframes and completed inspection results can be viewed by clicking on the "E-Trakit Citizen Portal" link below.
Please follow the steps outlined below to obtain the inspection status of your permit.
- Enter the Permit Number and press 'Search'
- Click on the permit to view permit information
- Click on:
- "Inspections" - to view your inspection record. This tab includes all inspection history and results including any scheduled inspection requests/timeframes (AM/PM timeframes are posted at 7:45 am on the morning of your scheduled inspection date)
- "More Info" - next to the associated inspection to view any corrections/notes from the inspector
- Building Inspector assignments are subject to change.
- Inspectors do not set appointments. Your inspection timeframe is given as a courtesy. Our Inspectors aim to arrive at your job site within the given timeframe.
- Inspection delays may occur due to weather, traffic conditions or unforeseen issues at other inspection sites.
- If no one is at the job site to meet with the Inspector, the Inspector will not conduct the inspection and the inspection will need to be re-scheduled.
- If Inspectors are unable to complete all scheduled inspections, the uncompleted inspection(s) will be carried over to the next business day.
- A re-inspection fee may be assessed when work is not ready, inspection card and/or approved plans are not available, no access has been provided or there is any deviation from the approved plans.
Responsibilities to Facilitate Inspections
- Complete all work related to the inspection.
- Pay any re-inspection fees prior to scheduling your next inspection.
- Ensure that the approved/stamped plans and job card are on site at ALL times during inspections.
- Ensure site is secure and safe for an inspector to walk the property. All household pets shall be secured away from the construction site
- All construction that requires a permit shall be inspected before it is covered or concealed
- Ladders and scaffolds shall comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards
- Areas to be inspected shall have adequate lighting
- A safe path of travel shall be provided throughout the inspection site. Crawl spaces must be dry, free of obstruction (i.e., insects, rodents, etc.) and deemed safe by the inspector.
- All electrical panels and junction boxes to be inspected shall be open and accessible for inspection. Inspectors will not open boxes or take apart electrical equipment.
- Provide gate code or access numbers and contact information for guarded properties.
- Provide all necessary documents to the inspector related to your inspection.
Overtime / Special Inspection Requests
An inspection request may be made for an inspection that needs to take place outside of regular business hours such as weekends or a non-City business day. In such cases, the applicant requesting the special inspection must pay for all overtime costs associated with the requested special inspection. Overtime/Special inspections require approval from both the Inspector and Building Official.
**INSPECTIONS HAVE BEEN CAPPED FOR FRIDAY 06/24/22.
THE NEXT AVAILABLE INSPECTION IS MONDAY 06/27/22**