The City Clerk is the local official who administers democratic processes such as elections, access to City records, and all legislative actions, ensuring transparency to the public. We are committed to excellent customer service, easy access to public records, facilitating the political will of the community, and helping residents be informed and involved in their government.
The City Clerk's office provides the following services:
- City Council, Successor Agency, Housing Authority and Oversight Board Meetings, Agendas, Videos and Minutes
- Records Management
- Elections Official
- San Juan Capistrano Municipal Code
- Fair Political Practices Commission Local Filing Officer
- City Council Appointments to Outside Agencies and Mayoral Subcommittee
- Commission, Committees and Board
- Claims Against the City
- Request for Appeal
Maria Morris, City Clerk
Maria Morris has been serving the citizens of San Juan Capistrano for nearly 23 years within the City Clerk's office. She was appointed by the City Council in 2009 for the position of City Clerk. She has earned her Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) designation with the International Institute of Municipal Clerks in 2009.
The City Clerk's Department is to support the City's democratic process. The Department is committed to excellent customer service, promoting transparency, easy access to public records, facilitating the political will of the community, and helping residents be informed and involved in their government.
- Records Request Form
- Request for Building Plans Form (PDF)
- Appeal Form - Land Use Determination (PDF)
- Appeal Form - Administrative Citation (PDF)
- Hardship Waiver for Administrative Hearing (PDF)
- Claim Form (PDF)
- Request to Speak Forms
- Commission Application (Only available when there is a vacancy)
- Parks, Equestrian and Community Services Commission Application - Applications will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. Friday, February 23, 2024, at the Office of the City Clerk
- How do I run for City Council or apply to a City Commission?
The next City Council election is scheduled for November 2024, for Districts 1 and 5. The nominating period for Candidates will open mid-July 2024.
Please email the City Clerk's office for more information on the election process and candidate nomination or call them at 949-493-1171.
If you are interested in serving on City Council appointed Commission or Committee, please visit the individual Commission pages to read commission descriptions, view current vacant positions and complete an application.