The City of San Juan Capistrano has established a Construction and Demolition (C&D) Waste Recycling Program per Ordinance No. 1041 and Resolutions No. 03-11-04-04 and 03-11-04-05 to help in diverting C&D waste from landfills and also to comply with mandates of the California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB). The City’s diversion requirement is 65%, which means that certain projects are required to divert 65% of the total C&D waste tonnage at a project site from landfills.
The City has a franchise agreement for solid waste handling and recycling with CR &R. CR &R provides construction and demolition dumpster services in San Juan Capistrano. You can reach them at 877-728-0446, ask for Customer Service, or visit the www.crrwasteservices.com.
Tips to Manage C&D Material at the Job Site:
- Determine recycling, salvage, reuse and disposal options before the job begins.
- Consider deconstruction instead of mechanical demolition.
- Reuse materials such as fixtures and doors.
- Donate materials that can be reused to charities and nonprofit agencies such as ReStore a Habitat for Humanity resale store.
- Place advertisements in local newspapers announcing salvageable and reusable materials for sale or donation.
- Choose a recycling facility based on its fees and geographic proximity to your job site.
- Educate contractors regarding your waste management plan.
- Clearly identify recycling areas with large signs.
- Place recycling bins in areas that will minimize misuse or contamination by employees and the public.