The City of San Juan Capistrano owns and maintains the sewer system serving businesses within city limits. Under new law, the City is required to institute a comprehensive grease control program. Grease that enters the sewer system from kitchen sinks and drains eventually hardens and coats the inside of sewer pipes. Over time, the grease accumulates and can restrict the flow of waste-water in the pipe. This results in sewer spills that can cause damage to businesses or cause raw sewage to spill into our streets and waterways, and can be a significant cause of ocean or creek water pollution. San Juan Creek is an impaired water body for bacteria, so the City is required to prevent any sewer spill from reaching the catch basins or the creek.
To protect your pipes:
- Do not put oil, grease, or greasy foods down the sink, drain, or toilet.
- Solidify cooking oil with an absorbent material such as cat litter or coffee grounds; place it in a sealed container and dispose of it in a trash receptacle.
- Grease must be hardened in a can or container with a lid before disposing in the trash. Best to dispose of small amounts in the trash than a full container.
- Scrape leftover food and grease into the trash.
- If you soak a greasy pan, place a paper towel over the drain basket to catch grease and food particles as you pour the water down the drain.
- For large amounts of household oil and grease, place in a sealed container and take it to the Prima Desecha County of Orange Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center for proper disposal. Prima Desecha landfill is situated at the end of La Pata, south of Ortega Highway. For more information, visit http://www.oclandfills.com.
Grease Interceptor Installation Requirements for Food Facilities
For new or existing food facilities with ongoing major remodeling, a grease interceptor may be required. For information on grease interceptor installation, please download the following file or contact Joe Mankawich at (949) 487-4313.
FOG Wastewater Discharge Permit Application Form
Grease Interceptor Installation Requirements.