Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES)
In times of crisis and natural disasters, amateur radio is often used as a means of emergency communication when wireline, cell phones and other conventional means of communications fail. The Tri-Cities Races group provides amateur radio communications for Dana Point, San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano for special events, as well as maintaining readiness for radio communications in the event on an emergency or disaster. These volunteers hold dual membership in Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) and Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES).
Tri-Cities RACES Membership Requirements:
- Disaster Preparedness
- Hold current amateur radio operator license from the FCC
- Be available for emergency callouts and special duties
- Own a 2-meter amateur radio (Dual Band 2-meter/440MHz preferred)
- Be able to pass a background check Secure Live Scan
- Maintain participation in the group as follows:
- Participation/Check-In to weekly radio net – Minimum 1 check-in per month
- General Meeting Attendance – Minimum 1 meeting per quarter
- Participation in Public Service Events – Minimum 2 per calendar year
Contact South Orange County Amateur Radio Association for general and information on getting an amateur license.