Sites Listed in the National Register located in San Juan Capistrano
The National Register of Historic Places is the nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archaeological resources. Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture. According to the National Register of Historic Places as of 10/14/09, the following are listed in the Register for San Juan Capistrano (links to the National Register nomination forms are provided as available and are generally between 4MB and 7MB PDFs).
All photo credits this page: City of San Juan Capistrano
Casa de Esperanza (added 1990 - Building - #90001484)
Also known as Blas Aguilar Adobe
31806 El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano
The Blas Aguilar Adobe is owned by the City of San Juan Capistrano, located just at the north side of Historic Town Center Park. The non-profit Blas Aguilar Adobe Foundation operates a museum and cultural center at the Adobe under a curator agreement with the City. Exhibits focus on the community's history, especially that of the local indigenous people including the Juaneno Band of Mission Indians Acjachemen Nation and their descendants. The museum is open on weekends and by appointment by calling 949-493-0959.
Congdon, Joel R., House (added 2002 - Building - #02000801)
32701 Alipaz St., San Juan Capistrano
The Joel Congdon House is also owned by the City and is surrounded by South Coast Farms, located on the northwest corner of Alipaz Street and Camino Del Avion, just east of the City's Community Center and Sports Park. Under a license agreement with the City, the Congdon House and grounds have been transformed by a non-profit The Ecology Center to educate the public on a variety of sustainable living concepts and practices. Go to The Ecology Center website to find out more information.
Egan, Richard, House (added 2017 - Building - #SG100000469)
31892 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano
Egan House was constructed in 1883 by Judge Richard Egan. Also known as “Harmony Hall”, the story-and-a-half Renaissance Revival building was the town courthouse as well as Judge Egan’s private residence on the upper story. Judge Egan served as Justice of the Peace for San Juan Capistrano there from 1870 to 1890.
Esslinger Building (added 1988 - Building - #88000557)
31866 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano
Esslinger Building was constructed in 1939 by Dr. Paul Esslinger. The medical building was constructed using pour-in-place concrete and is one of the best examples of Streamline Moderne architecture in Orange County. Esslinger Building housed one of the most advanced medical practices of its time, offering services such as eye-ear-nose treatments, operations, diathermy, X-rays, and laboratory work. It was restored in 2003 and now serves as an office building.
Forster, Frank A., House (added 1986 - Building - #86002405)
27182 Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano
Harrison House (added 1979 - Building - #79000515)
27832 Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano; site also includes Parra Adobe
Below: Frank Forster House at left, Harrison House at right
Hot Springs Road (added 1977 - District - #77001615)
Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano
Los Rios Street Historic District (added 1983 - District - #83001216)
31600-31921 Los Rios St., San Juan Capistrano
Views of Los Rios Historic District below:
Mission San Juan Capistrano (added 1971 - Building - #71000170)
Camino Capistrano and Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Montanez Adobe (added 1975 - Building - #75000450)
31745 Los Rios St., San Juan Capistrano, within Los Rios Park; also a contributing structure to the Los Rios Historic District. Built in 1794, one of three such adobes remaining on Los Rios Street. Named for Polonia Montanez who was a village midwife and gave religious instruction to children; she was the owner of record in 1850. Archaeological and late 1800s period displays. Included in docent guided walking tours on Saturdays and Sundays; also open to the public by volunteer docents, mid-day most days of the week.
Parra, Miguel, Adobe (added 1978 - Building - #78000731)
Also known as Parra Adobe
27832 Ortega Hwy., San Juan Capistrano; site also includes Harrison House
Stroschein, Carl, House (added 2009 - Building - #09000823)
31682 El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano
Williams, Roger Y., House (added 2007 – Building - #06001237)
Also known as the Swanner House
29991 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano
Below from left to right: Parra Adobe, S troschein House, Williams/Swanner House
Yorba, Domingo Adobe and Casa Manuel Garcia (added 1982 - Building - #82002222)
31781 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano
Views of 1-story Domingo Yorba Adobe and 2-sotry Manuel Garcia Adobe at left and barns at right below: