Effective 3/16/2020, as a result of the City Hall closure in response to the COVID-19 Virus, all new Planning Applications will be required to be submitted electronically.
To submit applications electronically, please follow the steps below.
1. Submit the application listed below via email to PlanningDept@sanjuancapistrano.org:
Please refer to the submittal matrix on page 3 of the application for all the items that must accompany your specific application request.
2. Payment - Once an application has been received by staff, an invoice along with payment instructions will be emailed to the applicant by the City. Planning application fees or developer deposits must be made by credit card with payment information taken over the phone. Please refer to the Planning Fee Schedule.
- Credit Card transactions have a maximum limit of $5000, in the event this is an issue please contact the planning staff at PlanningDept@sanjuancapistrano.org for assistance.
- Payments may also be made by check via the City's Drop Box (located in the front of City Hall). Checks must be placed in a sealed envelope along with a copy of the invoice and labeled with the application number. Once payment has been hand delivered to the City's Drop Box please call 949-493-1515 to inform the Finance Department that the payment was delivered.
- Payments by mail are not accepted.
3. The assigned planner will review your application for accuracy and thoroughness. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant for additional information otherwise the planner will coordinate the completion of the application process.
Please submit any questions about the application process to PlanningDept@sanjuancapistrano.org or call 949-443-6331 and ask to speak to a planner.
The Planning Division is responsible for providing assistance to public with zoning regulations and requirements to properties within the City. These include, but are not limited to, use regulations, development standards, signage and tree removals. The Planning & Zoning Department provides current and advanced planning services, including review of private and public development projects for compliance with the established policies, regulations, and standards as set forth by the City’s General Plan and Municipal Code.
Zoning Documents & Resources:
Planning Documents & Resources: