Search
Menu
  1. Home
  2. About Us
  3. City Services
  4. Visitor Information
  5. Departments
    1. City Manager's Office
    2. City Attorney
    3. City Clerk
    4. Community Services
    5. Development Services
    6. Finance
    7. Fire Services
    8. Human Resources
    9. Police Services
    10. Public Works
    11. Utilities
    12. Emergency Preparedness
  6. Government
  7. News & Updates

Sister City

Capestrano, Italy is a small Italian village of 956 inhabitants.  The village is located in the heart of the Abruzzi region in the natural park known as the “Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park”. In 1934, Capestrano became world-famous when a poor farmer, while tilling his vineyard, found the world-famous statue of an Italic Warrior of Capestrano. The statue, which probably was a funeral monument of Italic king Nevius Pompuledeius (VI century BC), is currently kept in the National Archeological Museum in Chieti. The originality and beauty of the statue have made it the symbol of Abruzzi for the next millennium.  Capestrano is also known for being the birthplace of one of the greatest Franciscan Saints, Saint John of Capestrano (1386/1456).

When visiting Capestrano there are several sights that are worth a vist; The Parish church in the market square, has a baroque interior, a fine marble acquasantiera and wooden pulpit.
 
The majestic Piccolomini Castle, was built in the 13th century.   The castle is headquarters for the Mayor and City Council and also the sight of many of  Capestrano’s annual festivals- The Monastery of St. Francis is located on a hill covered by olive trees facing the fortified village, erected by St John of Capestrano, which is now the sight of a museum a historic library with a beautiful frescoed cloister, and warm-hearted Franciscan Fathers still guarding the precious relics of the Saint.

The House where John of Capestrano was born is nestled in the heart of the historic center of the town. The Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter ad Oratorium is situated on the bank of Tirino river, about 3 mile away from Capestrano. The church was built in 752 A.C. as part of the monastery of St Vincenzo al Volturno, by the Lombard king Desiderius.

 

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2017 by City of San Juan Capistrano
Back To Top